Fairmount was formerly a village on the Old Tennessee Road, a route for
cattle drives and stagecoaches moving through the eastern side
of what are now Gordon County. By act of the General Assembly of
Georgia, approved December 14, 1897, Fairmount became a
corporate town. In 1927 it became a city extending 1/2 mile in
every direction from Dorroh's Store.
Prior to the 1832 Land Lottery the settlers were Cherokee Indians and a few whites mostly coming from South Carolina, Tennessee, and middle Georgia. People who came from Virginia about 1849 settled along the Cherokee and Cass County Line becoming known as Little Virginia colony. These Virginians grew tobacco successfully along the Salacoa Creek and erected four factories and packing houses until the revenue and taxes became so high there was no profit and operation ceased.
Settlers from early 1800's were White, Byrd, Erwin, Stanton, Strickland, Coulter, Carter, Ramsaur, Watts, Finley, Patton Dyer, Fuller, and others. Their first Gordon County tax digest ( 1851) listed land holders in #874 Militia Dist. (Fairmount).
A Methodist Church, a Baptist Church (founded 1836), a post office and Salacoa Academy were in existence in the 1860's. Cpt. Wiley M. Dyer was teacher at the Academy.
The decade of the 1930's sustained the multiple passenger and freight train service of the L & N Railroad. The depot was busy with shipping, receiving, and passenger service. Both the Elrod (Keffee) and Dorroh hotels were available for the benefit of travelers.
1938 found the city and surrounding areas for at least a twenty mile radius in distressed circumstances due to the low demand for crops and timber. Some citizens joined a young man, E.D. Lacey, to form Fairmount Chenille Co. the first manufacturing plant on the east side of the county. This served as the prime source of textile employment in the community until the late 1960's.
To accompany the rejuvenation of the community in the decade of the 1940's a new Masonic Lodge was built. A Lion's Club, a Jr. Chamber of Commerce, and a Woman's Club affiliate of the American Federation of Woman's Clubs joined efforts to complete a ten-room clinic in 1946. Dr. Byron Steele opened practice there and the drugstore reopened under the management of Dr. Vernon Ray.
The newly created and engineered Fairmount Telephone Co., Inc. became the first independent dial system in the state in 1950.